Sunday, November 06, 2011

A New Christmas Classic

Carving AngelsCarving Angels by Diane Tolley
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Much like how the weather changes in Alberta, ofttimes our lives don't quite turn out the way we think it would. Such is the case in this wonderful Christmas story, "Carving Angels."

The story is told through the blind eyes of a woodcarver, who was once the lead carver in his shop but has chosen retirement with his loss of sight. Ten years have passed since he put away his tools and now he's spends his days waiting. Waiting for breakfast, waiting for lunch, waiting for supper, and waiting to go to bed in order to do it all over again. The only enjoyment he receives is visits from his granddaughter who was born 4 years ago.

She makes a bold move and asks him to carve something for her, as she has never seen him work, just as he has never seen her face. Initially refusing, he decides to accept the challenge and attempts to make something of the block of wood that she brought him to shape and form as only a master can. The passion to create comes alight once more, and he in turn teaches her the woodworking skills that have served him well.

The timing of this renaissance could not have come at a better time, because their partnered skills serve the community in a way that no one imagined possible, and changes the entire community for the better.

I will be the first to admit that this story made me cry three times while reading, and I'm not in the least bit ashamed to admit it. It is a powerful message about the human spirit, and how you can never give up on people, but most importantly how you can never give up on yourself.

While the woodcarver was not the ideal image of a artist, since he had long lost his sight, he still knew his trade. He still knew how to work a piece of wood, how to choose the right piece, and most importantly he was able to determine what needed to be brought out of the wood. Though his blindness was a significant hindrance, he didn`t allow it to define who he was.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It's a story that you will want to have in your home and read again and again.

View all my reviews
Although the author of this work is my mother-in-law, please understand that I am not writing this review under duress, nor do I feel this is a display of nepotism to tout this marvelous story. I read this book over a month ago when I purchased my copy directly from the author, but I only wrote the review now because I spent part of yesterday selling the book at a local Arts and Crafts fair. By the end of the day, I found that I had told a rather concise review to everyone I met. I'm not sure if it was my salesmanship that helped matters, or just my strong love for the story, but it was a joy just to tell people about this great story.

Physical disabilities are much more difficult to live with and/or hide from the world, and I have seen people work with what they have been given and make a fruitful life out of it. I have my own disability, and it has long been something that hold secret because of the stigmas associated with it. After reading this book, I found myself with a renewed sense of worth. It may be difficult to function some days, but I know that I have a family that loves me and needs me, despite my shortcomings, and that's enough to keep me going.

Just as I said in my review, I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

No comments: