Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Somethings are just better without kids

Last night, Caitlin and I went out for a "date," if you classify going to see a movie with seven other people without our daughter. Now that our little girl is over two years old, getting time to ourselves is getting harder and harder. Who knew that all those parenting books actually knew what they were talking about?

Nevertheless, I'll take date time where I can, and in this case we used up a bunch of little discounts we had tucked away for a night out. One of those things was the cereal box coupons we got back in February. We had the hope to use them last month, when they were good for adult admissions, but April turned out to be a super-nuts month. May rolls around, and they are only good for small popcorns. Now, I'm thinking that the value we have from that purchase was the cereal that came in the box, and may some firestarting tinder. Surprise, surprise, the location for the movie was decided to be Galaxy Cinemas, one of the cinemas accepting the coupons! Woot! Going to see a movie with seven other people suddenly seems like a brilliant idea as we administered popcorn for everyone. Well, we got four small bags of popcorn, and it was shared between three and a half couples. Still, popcorn adds to the movie experience, and today's small popcorn is the equivalent of a large popcorn about 10 years ago!

The other little bonus that we had on our side was the admission. Little did I know, Tuesday's at Galaxy Cinemas are $5. I had $5 in my wallet, but Caitlin did not. Rather, she had a $5 gift certificate that covered her admission! Surprise! Hee hee. I'm so glad I opted for $100 in movie gift certificates last year. Some of my co-workers at the time said I should have got Source by Circuit City cards or Canadian Tire, but I had an inkling that it would be best served - and enjoyed - at Cineplex.

Finally, the movie we went to see was STAR TREK! I went alone to see it opening weekend, because I was seriously afraid it was going to be like last year with The Dark Knight and I would have to wait until it came out on DVD to see it. Not so! I went by myself, and then told Caitlin and her mom everything about it, such to the point that they both wanted to see it, and thus this movie night was brought about.

When I saw Star Trek the first time, I didn't get the usual vibe of "This is a great movie, but it's a good thing Caitlin's not here. She would HATE it!" when I watch movies without my wife. She can appreciate a good film, but something ruin it for her. Language for one. I've learned to tune it out, but it annoys her. Idiocy is another, along with sexual themes. Training Day is a good example. I thought it was brilliant, great acting done by Denzel Washington, definitely worth the golden guy he won, and powerful portrayal done by Ethan Hawke. But the fact that it's done on the backdrop of nitty-gritty LA, pass. However, with Star Trek, I kept thinking that she would LOVE it! Such to the point that I wrote a comical abridgement which I posted earlier.

I was completely right, plus I now know what to get her for Christmas. She laughed at all the points I laughed, she cheered when the famous quips came up, and she agreed that Karl Urban did an excellent job as Bones.

It was nice to just sit back, relax, and not have to worry about Rini. Love that little girl, but a break is always welcome, and mommy certainly needed it.

No comments: