Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Movie Project: Day 1 - Aladdin

My wife and I have an extensive DVD collection. Some titles, I am ashamed to admit, we have purchased and not yet watched. Some titles we have not watched together, and some we have not watched since we have bought them, but have watched previously.

In order to get some use out of these many titles we own, I figured it prudent also to educate my daughter about different movies. That, and I'm starting to get tired of watching Ni-Hao, Kai-Lan everyday. Thus today, I endevoured to break her out of the movies that she has cemented into her three year old mind by dusting off Disney's Aladdin.

This was initially met with a barrage of tears and complaining about how she wanted to watch Up instead, and I couldn't really blame her. Though Aladdin won Academy Awards for Best Original Song and Best Original Score, Up has three Oscar nods, one of them being Best Picture.

Nevertheless, Rini had protested a number of movies/shows that she later loved, such as Toy Story, Nightmare Before Christmas, and Fraggle Rock. I figured this would be just like any other. She would protest, and then settle down and watch the whole thing with barely any fuss.

Boy, was I wrong! The only reason that she tolerated the movie was because of Abu, Aladdin's spider monkey companion. She would screech like a monkey whenever he had screen time, especially during the first musical number "One Jump." She was quite enthused up to the point when the Genie appeared. After that, it was a challenge to get her to sit on the couch longer than two minutes. To say she had completely lost interest might be a bit of an overstatement, but she started to insist upon changing the movie out, and watch Up in its place.

Right before the "Prince Ali" number, I stopped the movie in an effort to calm my daughter down. At this point Caitlin was ready to give up on this for the day, and put in another movie to save us all from the incessant whining to change the movie. I was near ready to put in Veggietales to get some kind of peace, but I instead decided to continue with this 1992 Classic, disregarding the plea from my daughter, in the faint hope that her opinion on the movie would turn positive.

With the choice of watching of the movie or going to bed, Rini decided to stick it out. Having something to drink helped as well, and we all watched the rest of the movie with minimal fuss. She didn't seem to have any big reactions, positive or negative, for the remainder of the movie, probably since we were encroaching on her bedtime by the time the credits rolled.

Aladdin is going back on the shelf, and is probably going to stay there for some time. At least until baby #2 arrives.

Overall, I think Rini liked Aladdin, but it's not something I would bring on a road trip. Pixar still holds that crown.

No comments: