Saturday, February 05, 2011

Movie Project - Day 36: Pinky and the Brain


While not this is not a movie, and watching the entire series in one sitting is near impossible since my daughter would never stay still for that long, I thought it would be interesting to see my daughters take on one of my favourite cartoons. We watched a couple episodes on Toshi (our portable DVD player) in order to take advantage of the sunshine today. I was so engrossed in the show that I failed to notice the vast amount of snow falling until after I had turned it off.

Erini thought the mice were cute, and I was pleased there was a lot of phyical humour to the show. The complexity of the dialogue was such that I found it a bit of a challenge to keep up. Of course, the fact there were no English subtitles made it that much more difficult for me to keep pace. There were French and Spanish subtitles, but no English. That disappointed me a little.

Another reason why my daughter sat through as much as she did might have something to do with the voice acting. While I'm sure she wouldn't know Orson Wells from Mel Gibson, Maurice LaMarche and Rob Paulsen have done a number of voices. It could be said they follow the wisdom of Ephriam Levi, "If you have to live from hand to mouth, you better be ambidextrous!" It would almost be easier to say which productions they haven't been in, as their combined voice work has spanned from Inspector Gadget (1985 series) to the Tinkerbell movie series. It's also interesting to note Rob Paulson voiced Yakko Warner, whom my daughter loves because of the Countries of the World song.



I'm sure she'll love Pinky and the Brain just as much once she sees the Brainstem song.



Until we move into our new place, she'll have to be satisfied with watching it on YouTube since that song is on Volume 1, which is currently in storage. We do have Volumes 2 and 3, and that's just fine, because The Really Great Dictator and Just Say Narf are on Volume 3, not to mention Star Warners, in which Pinky and the Brain are featured as 3-PinkyO and Brain2-Me2.

She has quite the affection for R2-D2, since she's physically met him!

2 comments:

Shirley said...

You have a lifesize replica of R2D2! How amazing for your daughter (and probably you)! While I've never enjoyed Pinky and the Brain, I certainly like several of the other movies you have posted about. Great activity for a snow day! One of our favourites!

Dragon Paw Gent said...

I would love to say that R2-D2 replica is ours, but I would be lying. The picture was taken at the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo in 2009. It is fully functional and the operator can control it from about 1km away. He picks a spot to hide, and it seems R2 is moving around on his own! Erini loved it, especially when R2 said "Wah...WAAAHH-lee." Surprised us both!

Thanks for reading!