Monday, February 21, 2011

Daddy Presents... #1 - Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!

As entertaining as movies, music, and video games can be, sometimes Erini prefers to sit with me and read some good books. Such was the case tonight with a couple of her cousins over for dinner and a visit. Right as the evening was winding down, I picked up Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems, and Erini jumped up beside me.

The book is a very simple read, and provides an interactive element for the reader. The titular Pigeon is quite the talkative bird and presents some compelling arguments to let him ride the bus. My daughter enjoys the parts where the pigeon is very frustrated, and there's no words, but rather a black charcoal smudge. When we get to that part, I do a deep throaty growl, and she giggles to no end at that. Her next favourite part is when the Pigeon gets very flustered and screams and shouts and the words look like they have a graffiti design to them. I shout the words and wave the book an inch from her face when we get to that part, and she thinks that hilarious too!



It's hard to say if that was quality time or not, but it was a certain quantity of time. And that's what I've come to learn doing this blog. I try not to worry if the time spent with my daughter is quality or quantity, because to her it's enough that I spent time with her.

1 comment:

Shirley said...

Since September I've been reading and enjoying your posts. The joys of parenting, moving, movies, and books. Thank you for sharing your lovely blog. I'd like to give you One Lovely Blog Award for your blog. Please swing by my blog to accept.