Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Movie Project - Day 42: Super Mario Galaxy

In view of the past month, I've noticed movies have moved to the forefront, and video games have taken a back seat. Writing this blog does take a bit of time from my day, but that doesn't mean that I have to leave it behind. Also, Erini has been asking to play some games as of late, specifically Super Mario Galaxy. I have not finished the game as yet, but we've both been enjoying the game.

The premise is pretty standard for a Mario game. Bowser comes and kidnaps Princess Peach and Mario has to go rescue her. The twist this time is that Bowser has figured out how to make galaxies with the aid of Grand Stars. These were stolen from an observatory watched over by a mysterious lady known as Rosalina, and there are a number of sentient star forms known as Lumas.

This game works well for playing with Erini, because while it is chiefly a one person adventure game, there is a two player option in which the second player uses the Wiimote to collect and shoot Star bits. This was a little annoying at points, because once she figured out she could shoot stuff, that's all she did, and then the star bits would diminish to nothing. I tried playing with my wife, but whenever Erini saw Caitlin holding the Wiimote, she wanted it back because it was "hers." Oh joy. Should be interesting when she has to share with her sister.

Yet she was able to interact with the game and still enjoy the gameplay, which is challenging for an adventure game. Most games like Wii Sports or Wii Sports Resort work well because of the simple actions to which she can play along. Her favourite is the Samurai Showdown, and I will freely admit it's mine too.

I find it difficult to play this game for longer than an hour or so, mostly because of the 3D spacial navigation. When you're flying from spot to spot, flip upside down, and have limited camera control, it takes a toll on me. I don't get motion sickness as much as I have with first person shooters for PC, but I've learned it's best not to push the limits.

Another reason I wanted to play this game was to get a character unlocked in Mario Kart Wii. I have yet to see if this works or not, but I've read that if you have a Super Mario Galaxy save file on the memory, then it will unlock Rosalina as a playable character.

My wife has been making jewelry of all sorts lately, and some of the beads she picked up looked highly irregular, and almost jagged. The colours were all over the spectrum, but they looked rather familiar.

Caitlin got a Dremmel for Christmas, so she plans on drilling holes and stringing these into some necklaces, bracelets, and earrings. Possibly anklets too, but that's only if she can secure some more of these bits.

Coming soon at an Etsy store near you! As soon as we get it going that is...

No comments: