Saturday, March 05, 2011

Movie Project - Day 43: Toy Story 3

Seems like some time since I wrote about a movie I watched with my daughter, but I blame all those pain medications I was on. I'm at home, and I took some time to sit with my daughter and watch a movie that had previously given her nightmares, or so was the opinion circulating the household. Whether Erini truly did have trouble sleeping due to the movie or other circumstances, I don't know. What I do know is that after she watched this movie with me, she slept through the night without a peep. I would say the night troubles are over regarding this movie.

Not to say that there are some frightening parts, and not to say that everyone would feel comfortable watching this movie with their children. All I am saying is that I was very glad I watched this with Erini, and I was able to hold her during the scary parts. The parts I think she had issues with were: the garbage truck, the "libary" scene, and the incinerator. All those things were mentioned to me at one point or another in between our viewing in November 2010 and this past week. My daughter remembers her movies quite well, like her parents, and viewing movies with her mommy and daddy will help build good memories of good film.

The other thing I love doing with Pixar movies in general - and Erini has gotten in on it too - is going through the "Pixar Checklist." In every movie, a few things are present. One thing that my daughter has started to take notice is the Pizza Planet truck. She will get up and point it out whenever it appears in most all Pixar movies, though some movies it's quite hard to see eg. Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, and Up. But she always says, "The Pizza Planet truck is in Bug's Life!" That one is a bit easier to see and the same shot is used in Monsters Inc. ("Mama! Another 'gator got in the house!" "Another 'gator? Gimme that shovel!") Next, we're going to work on pointing out John Ratzenburger and A113.

Most all scary movies that Erini has watched, I've watched with her, and she enjoys them, and they don't bother her. Just having her daddy near her when she's scared tends to help her deal with the concept of fright. I haven't quite figured out why. It could be my baritone voice that has a soothing effect or some other facet of masculinity that I don't realize I'm displaying. Whatever it is, she does well, when I watch a movie with her.

That being said, I did watch Toy Story 3 with her the first time she watched it. The second time she saw it, I wasn't there, and that's when the sleep trouble started. Perhaps there is an exception to every circumstance, and this is no different.

No comments: