Tuesday, May 20, 2008

First Movie

Today was Rini's first movie theatre experience. Well, techinically second, but she slept through Happy Feet.

South Edmonton Common was the theatre and we were set to watch the Stars and Strollers screening of The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, but I decided to wander about before the movies started. To my surprise, there was a Stars and Stollers Screening of Iron Man. I was very close to switching the tickets, but in the end decided to stick with the movie we originally came to see. We could watch Robert Downy Jr. save the world another day. Besides, I could just ask Duff if he has the Black Sabbath album with the song "Iron Man" on it and I can do some air guitar.

On the note of movies, Prince Caspian is brilliant. I have not read the book, but Caitlin has, and she said it kept to C. S. Lewis' vision quite well. I also thought it nice to have Caitlin on hand to tell me what was coming up. I have a bad habit of jumping out of my skin if I don't know what's next. The only times she told me what coming were: the scene with the werewolf and the hag; right before the trees "woke up"; Posideon destoys the bridge. Afterwards, Caitlin informed me about the changed that they made to the story for pacing reasons, and so forth. I would love to have it in our DVD library, should we ever get the chance to get the money together for the disc. Last DVD we bought was 101 Dalmations, and that was a VERY good investment. Rini absolute loves it! She bounces to the music, giggles at the puppies barking, and cuddles during some of the scary parts.

During the movie, she would wander around the theatre, screech every now and again, but for the most part she was very well behaved. She was also able to get up and down the theatre steps all by herself! She prefers to go down the steps backwards, and I should treasure these moments. Next thing you know, I'm going to be chasing her as she takes them two at a time, then I'll be scolding her for taking an entire staircase in one big jump from the top. If she's anything like me.

You might wonder why we didn't make her sit down and be still for the duration of the movie, or why we would take her to a theatre where the sound would shatter her little eardrums, but not to worry. Note, I mentioned this was a Stars and Strollers screening, and everyone in the theatre had little ones. We were not the only parents that had to get up and comfort a crying child. walking around in the theatre was fine, and no one told me or Caitlin to sit down, or that we were bad parents for allowing her to crawl around. If she had fallen and cracked her head, then I would have been worried. The volume was also slightly lower so that we didn't have to worry about Rini getting freaked out by the noise from the movie. At least, not getting really freaked out. The surround sound, she's used to from home, but the big screen was something new.

Great family activity, and we are definitely going to do it again! We can see Wall-E now! I think there would be a signifigantly bigger audience than today though. Today, there was about twenty or so folks. And that's including the children!

No comments: