Sunday, December 07, 2008

First time sledding!

Caitlin was not feeling her normal 110% today, and we had a bit of a
disagreement on what to do today. We went to the Ward Primary
Christmas party, and that went very well. I was told that my wise man
costume was quite the sight, and the extra headpieces that we were
working on until 2am were well appreciated too! Next time this
happens, I think that Caitlin would appreciate more than two days
notice about making the costume! Mind, Caitlin made the most
elaborate costume, most everyone else had wraps or bathrobes. It was
still a lot of fun.

We were supposed to meet the missionaries today, but one of the Elders
fell ill, so our appointment had to be rescheduled. Just as well, we
all needed a nap after that party! I woke up around 5pm, and Rini
woke up soon after. After a bit of a discussion regarding whether we
should go sledding, Rini and I went off and left Caitlin behind to
have a snooze uninterupted.
I was intent on getting a set of house keys cut for Caitlin because
when we got back from the Christmas party, I discovered that not only
was I driving illegally (I didn't have my lisence on me) we were
locked out of the house! I had forgotten my keys! I keep them on a
seperate key chain, and I keep the car key in a wrist pouch that I was
wearing. Hence I didn't think of checking for the key. Plus, we
usually don't lock the door when we leave. We should really stop
doing that... In any case, after Caitlin broke into the house using a
window, I decided that we were going to get keys for Caitlin THAT DAY.
We can't go breaking into the house everytime our upstairs neighbour
is gone and locks the door.

The place that I was planning on going to was at Millwoods Town
Center, which is right across the road from Millwoods Park, and I was
quite certain that there was a good tobogganing hill in the park.
However, we only had a crazy carpet, but it was better than nothing.

Surprise! We weren't the only one's on the hill! There was a group
of ten or twelve year old boys with one of the boys father there.
They had an extra sled that wasn't being used, so after a run on the
crazy carpet (which was pretty fun) I asked if we could use the sled.
They said yes, and Rini and I hopped into the sled and went zooming
down the hill! Normally I worry about getting hit by other people on
the hill, but since it was just those boys, Rini and I went farther
than any of them, and we had no worries to collect ourselves and start
back up the hill. We had to be careful walking back up, because the
hill was really slick. When we first got there, I saw one of the boys
slip and fall on his face as he was walking back up the hill...

Rini is proving to be quite the independant girl! After we had done a
few runs, Rini got in the sled, and sat in the back. I told her that
she had to scoot forward to let daddy sit down, and she did. Once I
got in though, she got out. I was a little perplexed, so I got out,
and woudn't you know, she got back in. Sitting in the back again. I
scooted her forward so I could get in, and again she got out when I
sat down! Fortunately, there was a bunny hill right behind the hill
we were going down. I turned the sled around, she got in, and I sent
her down on her first solo sled run. Just my luck, she hit a tree.
Glanced off it actually, but I wasn't overly impressed with myself.
She wasn't going very fast, so she didn't really notice, and she went
for a few more runs by herself before she would let me go on another
run with her. Silly me, the last run we did together, we hit the jump
on the hill! I tried to steer away from it, but we went right over
it! BOOMPH! I almost lost control of the sled, but we didn't tip
over thankfully! I would have hated to have her spill on her first
time sledding!

We got home a little late, but it was a lot of fun! We just added
'sled' to Rini's Christmas list. :)

No comments: