Saturday, January 08, 2011

How I met my wife - Part 1 of 3

Those of you that follow my other blog have heard the story I told about The Canadian Coffee Secret, which was part and parcel to the post a day topic for Jan 6, 2011. Truth be told there was another story that I wanted to tell, an some people might have heard it before. For those who know this story, you'll probably want to read it anyway just to see which details I embellish more than others.

Part 1: The first time we saw each other

When people talk about their significant others, sometimes you'll hear the phrase, "Love at first sight." Not the case for my wife and I.

Going back to the time before iPods, when people listened to CDs and cassette tapes, my sister met this tall drink of water named Erik Tolley. Their relationship didn't last long, which disappointed my mom, because she thought Erik was great, and his family was fun too. Yes, our families met, however it wasn't a prominent enough even that I remember every detail about the visit. I don't even remember when it was. But if someone had told me that I was going to marry their fourteen year old daughter someday, I would have died of shock. Caitlin doesn't really remember much of that get together either, but the thing that stands out was the player piano. My mom enjoyed it so much, a couple of years later she bought one for the house.

Oh, and the dogs. I remember the three Old English Sheepdogs, or walking balls of hair. They knew they weren't allowed in the front room, but Chief was cheeky to the point that he would sit outside the room with one of his front paws over the threshold. He was out of the room, so he wasn't being yelled at, but he was in the room, so his mischievous nature was sated.

Like I said, I remember the visit, and Caitlin must have been there, but I don't remember her specifically. Besides, there would have been more than a few eyebrows raised if a 19 year old showed interest in a 14 year old.

Now to segue into the next chapter: Time passed.

Part 2 to be posted at noon o'clock.

No comments: