Thursday, January 20, 2011

On with the SNOW

For those of you who have been following my Movie Project post, I want to say thank you for reading. This has been a bit of a challenge for me, and I plan to continue throughout the year.

Next, I would like to apologize, because today I will not be posting a project entry about my daughter's reaction to media, be it movie, television, or video game. Although I did pick up a CD at the library that had covers of Disney songs, and she liked the version of "Bare Necessities" by Bowling for Soup.



I felt this would be the perfect opportunity to relate the fact that I don't spend all my time indoors with my daughter sitting in front of the television. In fact this past weekend, I rented some snowshoes for everyone in my family who can walk, namely myself, my wife, and Erini. It would be rather pointless to get some for Bronwyn as she hasn't yet figured out crawling. Though she just recently figured out rolling over! She still working on perfecting it, but she's making progress.

My memories of snowshoeing with my dad were vastly different than how it went with my daughter. First, I rented some MSR snowshoes, which are much different than the regular snowshoes that are almost as wide as they are long. But there was less of a chance of catching your feet on the snowshoes and falling over. Though Erini did plenty of that. It got to the point that she would fall over on purpose just so I would come over and pick her up!

There was plenty of snow to walk in, even though we were only in the backyard. Edmonton and area has received the heaviest snowfall in thirty years, so the 45cm of snow in the past three weeks has caused havoc on the roads, and created pristine fields to go mucking around in. On Saturday, once Erini was down for the night and Bronwyn was resting, making it easier for Grandma and Grandpa to hold down the fort, my wife and I did a moonlight snowshoe. We had quite the fun, though we were only out for 45 minutes. When we got back, I could feel the perspiration beading on my forehead. No wonder traditional Inuit diet is mostly fat! If I was walking around all day, everyday wearing snowshoes, I would need to eat like that too!

Other winter activities my daughter enjoys is sledding. Our first run of the season back in December was rather lack-luster, since it was all powder on the hill. No base. Once I had packed down the hill a bit with a few failed attempts, things went along much better! By the time I had accomplished this, Erini had figured out that the slides are much fast when they're cold, and was zipping down the long slide quite quickly. Quite understandable since the coefficient of friction of cold metal on polyester is minimal.

Well, I have had my snow day, so tomorrow I hope that I'll finally be able to sit down and watch Something Funny Happened on the Way to the Forum!

No comments: