Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Movie Project - Day 21: Red Skelton

Due to a very busy evening, I did not have the one hour forty three minutes required to view Something Funny Happened on the Way to the Forum. Therefore, that has been pushed to tomorrow night. In its place, I watched an episode of the Red Skelton Show with my daughter.

I'm starting to wonder if she likes watching these shows and movies with me simply because she gets to spend time with me, or because she get to eat popcorn while watching it. In any case, I'm not sure how much she understood in the episode since much of the jokes were quite clever, for example when Clem (Skelton) and his father are trying to figure out what exactly is the black, gooey stuff on their property, the father remarks, "It's kind of oily, isn't it?" Clem's response: "No, it's about noon." I had to think about that one for a moment, and I believe the only reason Erini laughed at the joke was because I was laughing.

The physical comedy cracked her up to no end. Whether it was falling down on his face, or ripping his pants, she found all the exaggerated actions very funny, as did I. How can you not find someone tripping over a carpet funny? If you're the one the tripped you find it funny in hindsight, but some visual gags appeal to all ages.

I'd like to say that it's a shame that Red Skelton died, but he lived a very full life, and had an extensive career in the entertainment industry. Of course the most well known thing he did was The Red Skelton Show, and I look forward to watching more episodes with my daughter. Although some of the jokes involve a knowledge of the current events of the times, I'm very pleased to say that I don't need to worry about my daughter repeating anything about the show. Not so with current television. I do love watching Castle and CSI:NY, but I can't sit down and watch that with her now. I used to, and the medical information for shows like House and Bones gave me a bit of motivation to teach my daughter the names of her bones, such as phalanges, metatarsals, metacarpals, tibia, fibula, patella, and femurs. Little did I know the bone knowledge came in handy when she saw Tangled. "Though I do like breaking femurs/ you can count me with dreamers/ 'cause way down deep inside I've got a dream."

Not sure if she quite understood the song, but we're working on that too.

Again, this entertainment is from a different time, when being edgy was kissing on screen. I know that my daughter is not going to be innocent forever, but if I can extend that window of time a little bit longer, then maybe she won't grow up so fast. Perhaps I'll be able to blink my eyes twice before she asks to drive the car, instead of just once.

No comments: