Thursday, January 06, 2011

Movie Project – Day 11: Fantasia (1940)

Today, we ventured for something more ambitious, Walt Disney's Fantasia. Erini has heard classical music before, but animation matched to the music was a new experience for her. Amazingly enough, she sat still for the most of the picture. I would like to say that there is a certain part that she likes, but her attention has been rapt.

After the show was over, Erini's reaction was curious. She didn't ask to watch it again, but rather wanted to see, “the unicorns.” Her favourite part of Fantasia – by far – was Beethoven's Sixth, 'The Pastoral Symphony.' Caitlin was very pleased, as that's her favourite part too. My only regret is that I didn't watch the entire show with her, as they had started watching it before I got home from work today. Nevertheless, this looks like a winner, especially in regards to rewatchability.

Most of the time I don't really notice the remastering of the image, but the Blu-Ray quality did show through, especially in the final piece, Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria. The fact that I had figured out how to get 1080i quality out of the Blu-ray player also helped, but the animation was very sharp and beautiful. I'm sure Walt would approve.

An interesting story that emerged from watching Fantasia with my family was an event from my wife's dating history. For all I know, she told me this before, but she showed Fantasia to one of her previous boyfriends (when they were dating, of course) because he had never seen it before. To his surprise, he actually enjoyed it, especially the music as he was not familiar with classical works.

I'm very glad that we bought Fantasia, although I was a little tenacious when Caitlin added it to our Boxing Day shopping pile. This is a title that I have been looking to get for close to a decade, but money is money, and over Christmas we spent a lot of it. Still, this is more than a movie, it's an investment in the musical and artistic education of my family. I can see us watching this again and again years from now.

Hopefully the disc will last. Hmmm... Might have to invest in some back up space.

No comments: