Saturday, January 08, 2011

How I met my wife - Part 2 of 3

Part 2: When we first met

A lot can happen in a year, and even more happened during the three and a half years between the time when we first saw each other, and the first time we officially met. For instance, I went on a mission, and Caitlin finished high school.

Then came the auditions for 'The Ark' in January 2001. This I remember in a bit more detail since it was the day I consciously remember meeting Caitlin. I took note of her during the dance audition, and noticed that she held herself in fine form. She went off to the south end of the gym at the Institute building, where the audition was being held, and went to study her song for the singing portion.

Gathering up all the courage I had inside me to talk to this pretty girl, I walked up to where she was studying away. I'm not sure how long I stood there before I determined that she wouldn't know I was there unless I said something, but moments like that tend to stretch out even if they are only a few seconds. I didn't realize this at the time, but I surprised her quite a bit when I said, “Hi.” Her head shot up like I shouted her name and it made me do a double take before I asked her what song she was working on. In hindsight, I guess that's not really good practice for auditions as some actors prefer not to be disturbed. At all. Nevertheless, this was my first audition, and I didn't know any better, while she didn't know anyone and didn't expect to talk to anyone at the audition, let alone me.

I wasn't the most attractive guy in the world, but I wasn't that bad either, and that might have added to her surprise that I spoke to her. At least I'd like to think that. Our topic of conversation moved beyond music and we got to taking, about what I don't remember, but at the same time, it doesn't matter. She had to leave midway through the audition as she had a previous engagement.

When her mom came to pick her up, she noticed that I was sitting beside her, and asked who I was. She replied, “He said his name was Steve,” and that set off a little reminder in the back of her mother's head. After some telephone calls and talks with my sister, I found out that the Caitlin I talked to at the audition was Caitlin Tolley, and she was going to be coming to the Singles Ward pretty soon. I was surprised with that, and asked how old she was.

Imagine my shock when I discovered I was flirting with a seventeen year old.

As you might have noted, this is part 2 of 3, and the introduction to the conclusion of this story is summarized with the two words that were used to segue Part 1 and 2: Time passed.

To be concluded at 2:00PM

No comments: