Sunday, October 05, 2008

Gratitude

It's funny, but I remember ten years ago I was in the MTC
participating in Conference, and President (actually, Elder at the
time) Monson gave an address about how we should be grateful for our
mothers and the great lessons and sacrifices that they have done for
us all.

Today, he gave a similar address about appreciating the journey. How
we shouldn't wait for things to happen, or for the right time to come,
because by and large, the 'perfect' time never does come. Hence I
would have say, again, that I am very grateful for my parents. I'm
not sure if I thanked them appropriately for helping me with repaying
my student loans the past couple years, but especially this past year
is was keeping us alive financially. When August hit, I was truly
worried, because I didn't know how we were going to get by if I didn't
get a new job. I was stressed to the point that I could not sleep,
nor find comfort in the fact that I was on vacation. I was pretty
much pleading with Heavenly Father that I would get this new job, and
by so doing, be able to provide better for my family.

I did get the new job, and in retrospect, my parents were not only
helping us financially, but spiritually as well. Since I didn't have
to worry about the finances as much, I could dedicate what little time
to my family. Time is one of the most valuble resources we have, and
it's best the we use it wisely.

That was something mentioned in the Priesthood session as well. Elder
Uchtdorf said, "The Lord loves a noble servent, instead of a
self-serving noble." A little bit different in message, I suppose,
but the underlying idea is the same. We are more of what the Lord
wants us to be when we think outside of ourselves. Or, "Stand close
together and lift where you stand" also hits it on the mark too.

I'm very glad that I took notes last night! I'm also amazed that the
Saturday session has already been video archived and posted online!
We watched Elder Worthlin's talk again this morning, and I was
corrected by who said what. I didn't take notes for that session.
Oops.

I come back to my parents, and the fact that they instilled in me a
love for the words of the prophets. Back in my day (I can't believe I
just wrote that), we stayed at the Stake Center for six hours on both
Saturday and Sunday to take advantage of all sessions of Conference.
Sometimes I would wonder why we had to stay, but now I have to try to
fret when Rini distracts me, which is quite easy for a 19-month old to
do! Amazing what a couple of decades will do, eh?

No comments: